Lawn Overseeding With Before & After Photos
ASK ABOUT OUR UNIQUE “POWERSEEDING” OPTION FOR LAWN REPAIR. (PIC below)
On This Page: Why Overseed?, Before & After Photos, Who Needs It?, How Often Should We Overseed?, Overseeding Process, Pricing, Reviews
Why Overseed Your Lawn?
- Thicker lawns increase natural weed and crabgrass resistance.
- Creates a more insect and disease-resistant lawn by integrating stronger cultivars of grass biologically enhanced with endophytes and stronger growing characteristics into your lawn that are adapted to our weather.
- It will help reduce previous damage and ‘small’ bare spots.
- The result is a greener, thicker, healthier lawn with fewer weeds–sooner!
Our overseeding service will help to thicken your entire lawn with the highest quality certified grass seed available. Every year, Over-Seeding helps build stronger turf and thickens your lawn with varieties of grass that improve the make-up of your lawn over time. Every year, we carefully select the best types of seed that are aptly suited for your lawn based on our geography, environment, traffic, and other conditions. LawnSavers reviews NTEP trials (seed rating trials conducted by premier turfgrass researchers) to determine the highest-rated seed, that will produce the best results in our service areas. OverSeeding will help to thicken up those areas that are thin, weak, and not looking their best.
This service can be added to any package with big savings. LawnSavers package customers SAVE 10% off Lawn Aeration and Overseeding AND Protector Package customers SAVE 10% off Overseeding (your Aeration is already included in the PRO Package).
Timing of Overseeding: Success is dependent on soil temperatures and the ability of the new seed to become established and ‘hardened off’ before expected stresses can occur (hot or cold weather, threat of frost, drought, etc.), and timing ultimately depends on weed levels in your lawn.
The most successful seeding occurs in the fall with warm soil temperatures and cooler air temperatures. Spring challenges include frost, snowfalls, and early heat waves. However successful seeding can also occur in the spring depending on the conditions. Your LawnSavers specialist will make the best recommendation for your lawn taking into account all of these factors. Seeding success ultimately will depend on your ability to keep the seed moist while it germinated and develops!
Grass roots do not grow through soil, they grow through ‘spaces in between soil particles’. Overseeding should always be combined with Liquid or Core Aeration for better germination rates. Aeration fractures and disturbs the soil to ensure seed-to-soil contact, thus aiding in the success of young seedlings to become established, while the liquid provides a targeted nutrient boost that aid in germination. Our Granular Compost application is also very helpful to maintain soil moisture near the seeds and provide valuable nutrients to the soil to aid seed establishment.
It is important to note that simply overseeding a lawn does not repair large bare areas or really thin lawns. If you have a damaged lawn, consider our Renovation package or PowerSeeding Service to repair your lawn (depending on the extent of damage).
Lawn PowerSeeding Before & After:
We also offer a UNIQUE POWERSEEDING SERVICE that is better for lawns that are very thin and need repair. We apply 250 percent more seed and force it into contact with the soil by using a machine to create small furrows or ‘slits’ that the seed is deposited in. You will typically achieve two to three times the rate of germination with this service. This PowerSeeding machine essentially scarifies the soil profile and drops seed into these spaces ensuring seed-to-soil contact and much greater germination.
Who needs it?
- Customers whose lawns are not as thick as their potential.
- Customers with small thin or bare spots caused by insect and grub damage or traffic.
- Homeowners who want a stronger thicker lawn because they have chosen not to use pesticides.
- Overseeding should be done every year in order to successfully integrate stronger, healthier, more disease and insect-resistant plants into your lawn.
- Should be done in spring or fall unless adequate irrigation is available regularly.
- Ask your LawnSavers Plant Health Specialist for their advice.
Process & Germination
- We broadcast custom blended, specially selected, certified seed mixtures during early spring after the threat of the first frost has passed, or in the early fall allowing enough time for the seed to become established.
- Seed must be watered regularly (sometimes 2-3 times per day in order to ensure successful germination. Heavy and thorough raking by the customer will help to ensure greater seed-to-soil contact. If you have bare spots, it is essential that you loosen these areas with a hard-tooth rake down at least 1-2 inches to allow better root formation.
- Perennial Ryegrass In particular, creeping/spreading types will begin to germinate within 7-10 days
- Kentucky Bluegrass can take up to 28 days to germinate under ideal conditions, however, improved cultivars can germinate as early as 10 days.
- Turf Type Tall Fescues can take 7–21 days to germinate and require at least 45 days before the first frost.
- Fescues for shade areas can take 10-20 days to begin germination.
- It is important to note that soil temperatures at 2″ below ground must have reached 58-65 degrees Fahrenheit or 15-18 degrees Celsius to achieve the start of germination. If the soil reaches over 80 degrees, you will not be able to sow seed as it is too hot.
We include the whole lawn for consistent results! not just spot seeding thin areas and not with just cheap ‘run of the mill’ perennial ryegrass.
Our seed includes the latest varietals of Improved Kentucky Bluegrass, Turf-Type Tall Fescue, and Natural Knit Spreading Perennial Ryegrass
- Call or text us for custom pricing for your specific lawn size: 905-707-9994 or 416-707-9994
What A Happy Client Says About Lawnsavers on Homestars
We switched from being a long-standing client of Weedman to Lawnsavers last year, and we couldn’t be happier. We were very unsatisfied with the treatment we were getting, so we decided to change companies. Our property is fairly large (66 x 150), so that is why it costs more than some reviewers are paying. We also added overseeding to the plan. Finally, our crabgrass issue is starting to get under control. The customer service and the technicians are very knowledgeable and accommodating. I am looking forward to continuing our service with Lawnsavers and getting our lawn back to normal.
We’re proud of our 9.1/10 (4.5/5) rating on Homestars across over 559+ reviews!