Menu

Poison Ivy Removal

Poison Ivy Removal

How Do You Identify Poison Ivy?

The first step in dealing with poison ivy is to identify that it is indeed poison ivy. If someone has touched a plant and had a reaction, or if you have seen a plant that you suspect is poison ivy, take some photos and e-mail them to us and we will try to confirm over e-mail at no charge to you. If we are unable to diagnose with a photo then we will need to come out and an inspection fee will be applied.

how do you identify poison ivy

Poison ivy looks like a stem with a larger leaf at the end, and two slightly smaller leaves that shoot out to the sides. The leaves are generally smooth with pointed tips and the plant varies in color throughout the year: Reddish in the spring, Green in the summer, Yellow/Orange in the fall.
Signs that your reaction could be poison ivy include swelling, redness, itching, and sometimes painful blisters. The rash can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days to fully develop.

How Do You Get Rid of Poison Ivy Plants?

The most effective way to get rid of poison ivy plants is to use a poison ivy spray. Do not pull as it can break plant tissues and release oils that can cause potentially severe physical injury. Urushiol is the name if the oil.  If you suspect, or know you have come in to contact with it, please take this guys advice to wash your skin!

What is the Purpose of a Poison Ivy Spray?

Poison Ivy Spray is a pesticide application that is done by our licensed technician with a product that is exempt from provincial bylaws. Our technician will spray the foliage which will be absorbed through the leaves and taken down into the plants root system. This spray will kill the existing plant from the leaves right down to the root and you will see browning/crisping of the plant over the span of approximately 14-21 days.  A that point the oil will still be present. Continue to exercise extreme caution in the area, and avoid contact with exposed skin, and tools that have touched the plant.

Why Is Poison Ivy Spray Better Than Vinegar?

People should not mess with Poison Ivy, Our control works and gets down to the root. Use a professional.  Home remedies such as vinegar rarely work effectively and take way longer.

How did I get Poison Ivy?

Poison Ivy can be imported from many sources.  Most typically we see it introduced from seed through any plant transplanted from ‘the wild’ like ravines or fields.  Hedge cedars seem to be a big culprit and comes as part of their roots.  The source can be a simple seed or piece of root from the poison ivy plant.  Another source seems to be from imported soils and composts that are not properly prepared.

How Much Does Poison Ivy Removal Cost?

A basic Poison Ivy Inspection only starts at $89.95 for an inspection by a licenced exterminator.  If treatment is warranted, an additional minimum fee of $85.00 +tax extra will apply for a total of 174.95 +tax (based on a small sized outbreak- in one confined area (less than 100 sq. ft.). Larger properties, more plants, difficult access or multiple locations on the same property are an additional cost. (ravines, long hedges, multiple gardens, more precise access. etc.)  Additional applications will be warranted and start at 174.95 and up per application. You may require 2-4 applications per year.

What You Need to Know About Our Poison Ivy Spray Service

  • Weather: the application must be done on a day that allows the product to dry, in order to be effective (usually 30 minutes).
  • Regrowth: due to the nature of Poison Ivy, it can regrow by way of seed, rhizomes, stolons or root stalk. Even after an application by LawnSavers, there may be the regrowth of new plants which require further applications to control.
  • The poison Ivy Spray is not a preventative application.
  • Subsequent applications (within 4-6 weeks) start at $99.95+tax (min charge). You should expect to schedule at least 3-4 treatments over 2 years to gain control of the problem.
  • Manual removal: LawnSavers does not manually remove the plant. Once the plant has gone completely brown or dried out after the pesticide application, it will eventually disintegrate.  If there is any to remove, wear proper protective gear and avoid any skin contact (even though the plant is dead, Urushiol oil will still be present). Bag and remove the plant from the area as necessary and dispose in garbage. Do NOT compost. ‎
  • Surrounding areas: as the technician sprays the foliage, there is no guarantee that surrounding plants will not be affected by the product. If a surrounding plant does get product on it, there will be some damage or LOSS to the plant. LawnSavers is not responsible for additional plant death.

 

Additional Plants We Can Take Care Of

  • Giant Hogweed
  • Poison Sumac
  • Poison Oak
  • Wild Parsnip
  • Stinging Nettle

 

 

  9/10 rating with over 369 reviews

Get a FREE estimate! Get a FREE estimate!