This weekend when you get your green thumb going, it’s important to remember 7 key things when it comes to your lawn.
Whether you have hired a lawn care company or have decided to try and give-it-a-go all by yourself, you need to remember to not work against yourself.
Here are a few hints:
1. DONT MOW YOUR GRASS
oops, I meant (until you read this article first)
2. DEFINITELY MOW YOUR GRASS! what have you been waiting for already? A lawn in the Greater Toronto area should have been mowed at least 4 times already.
3. BAG THE CLIPPINGS!!!! (if you have a weed problem) Mowing when weeds are in flower will only spread weed seeds around if you don’t send those fresh cut clippings into your mowers bag attachment. Howe else did you think the weeds started growing? When your lawn is greener, thicker and healthier with less weeds, then by all means, go back to mulching.
4. MOW MORE OFTEN: If you are mowing more frequently you will achieve 3 VERY IMPORTANT objectives. First, you will stimulate growth of the turf grass plant encouraging it to spread and tiller, which really means ‘grow in thicker’, which means less of a chance for weeds to invade. Second, the flower heads of the more common weeds that are growing right now, will not get a chance to establish a flower and the resulting seed head that is part of the flower. Third, when you never allow the weed plants to mature, they don’t develop into a stronger plant the way they do when you wait to mow very week or two, and by then, the weed has grown unfazed by your well-intentioned intervention that you never got around to. I dare you to mow your lawn twice a week until the end of June and again through September and October and see if it starts solving a lot of your problems!
5. MOW AT THE CORRECT HEIGHT: Healthy lawns in The Toronto area are generally made up of Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Rye-grass and some fescues. They all have an ideal height of 2.5-3″, which is essentially the height of a business card. If yours isn’t that high- raise your mower, you wouldn’t trim your trees down to the stump and expect it to regrow healthy, why do some people always insist on doing it with their lawns???
6. FERTILIZE: Lawns need nutrients. In fact, the best defence against weeds is a healthy growing stand of turf grass that is getting all the essential vitamins and nutrients that it needs. Studies show that a well fertilized lawn will have less than 10% weeds after 2 years
7. WATER: When lawns are thirsty, they cant wait, just because you don’t have the time they need 1″ a week. Water deeply once a week for a healthy lawn. Note: just because it rained downtown while you were at work, doesn’t mean it rained at your house in the suburbs. (or vice-versa)
Don’t work against what the grass wants to do- work with it! Spraying your lawn with Fiesta® Weed Management will help reduce the weeds over time, but NOT if you aren’t doing it in conjunction with the healthy lawn care tips mentioned above.
If you cant do it alone, LawnSavers is always here to help you with proper nutrition and fertility programs, weed control and insect management and professional lawn sprinkler installation and repair for your lawn at home or your business.
9.2/10 rating with over 345+ reviews